Woodland Hills Sanitary District

August 2015 Minutes


The August meeting of the Woodland Hills Sanitary District was called to order at 6:30PM.  In attendance were:  Randy Alexander, Evan Hutchings, Carol Crozman, Beth Haivala, Tyler Trupe (at 7:00PM), Ed Striebel and Lois Lund.


Secretary’s Report:  Randy asked if everyone had received and read the July minutes.  There were no changes to the minutes. 


Randy made a motion to approve the minutes, seconded by Beth and approved 40.


Income Report:  Total water income for July was $4690.98.  We had a net loss of $4073.18.  Among the regular bills, Hanson Law $1812.50 for the election fee, Midco Diving $$2499, Morford Electric for Well house repairs $2163.25 and a few other smaller bills that came due this month.


Lois also noted that we received the last draw check from the state for Mainline Construction.  This is the final invoice to be paid for Phase 1 of the project.  There was a shortfall of $3000 that will come from the new funding.


Carol made a motion to approve the income report, seconded by Randy and approved 40.


Water Report/Project Report:  Ed reported that the water losses for the month of July were at 58.12% and the water losses for June were at 47%.  There was a major water leak discovered on July 30 at 7104 Grosbeak.  The problem was a faulty coupling at the new meter pit.  We were losing 58,000 gallons of water per day.  Since it was a coupling that MainLine was responsible for, they hired Brandon Powles to fix the issue.


These are the happenings that Ed Striebel recorded for the month:

July 16:  All of the water storage tanks were cleaned by Midco Diving.  All of the tanks looked really good.

July 27:  The contractor (Underground Construction) left a valve open.  We immediately ran out of water.

July 28:  The pump at pumphouse #2 failed.  Tried to restart a couple of times, but no luck.  It was discovered that a crucial wire had been cut by the engineer.  An alternate pump was put in place.

August 4:  Numerous pump problems were happening at #2 due to some valving issues because of the wrong wires being cut.  There was a problem with the valve controlling the water going up the hill, it was stuck shut and then the alternate pump burned out.

August 5:  Another alternate pump was installed.

Ed urged the board to discuss the need for an alternate pump, as all of our extras have now been used.


There was discussion about the need to revisit the plan to completely remove the tank at the top of Woodland Drive and replace it with a generator on Pump #2 that would control the water flow if the electricity failed.  With the tank we have right now, if the electricity fails, the water is gravity fed and is available until the tank runs out of water.  Ed will ask Greg Morford to attend the board meeting in September to discuss alternate plans.


Ed will start installing meters toward the end of September and he wanted the board to decide what style of meters he should order.  He explained the differences between the 2 choices.  The board voted 50 to go with the MXU meters.  (The differences between the 2 choices were explained in the minutes from March 2015.)  Randy made a motion to approve the Water/Project Report seconded by Tyler and approved 50.


Road Report:  There was no income this month.  Tyler has talked to JMD Excavating about an estimate on crushed asphalt to be laid down to the top of Woodland.  He is hoping for that estimate by the September meeting.


Old Business:  Ed will meet with Mitchell Construction about a steel roof for the meeting hall at the end of Lark.  He will also talk to him about rebuilding the green building between the water tanks at Lark Lane.


The board has approved Randy Alexander to purchase a snow plow for his tractor at an amount up to $2800.  The snow plow will be used to plow Woodland Drive in the winter months.  Tyler made a motion to approve the snow plow purchase seconded by Beth and approved 40.


New Business:  The second assessment in the amount of $5.76 per residence will begin on the October billing.  New booklets are being made with this amount.  A letter has been drafted with this information along with information about the removal and replacement of the water meters in the upcoming months.  This letter along with the new water booklets will be stuffed and sent through the mail to each residence at the September board meeting.


Resident Comments:  None

Board Comments:  None


Randy made a motion to adjourn the meeting with a second by Carol and the meeting was

adjourned at 8:08PM.


Respectfully submitted,

Carol Crozman

Recording Secretary